Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Small-fry Picks:Baked Apples

So many apples in my fridge and no one is eating them. We are having a family gathering tonight, so I will try to entice them to eat my baked apples. I found my kid's grandmother's old cook book; Woman's Home Companion Cook Book, published in 1942. This is a cook book that I hope my kids one day will cherish as much I do. From this very old book.., here is the recipe for "Baked Apples." For this recipe we will be peeling the apples so that the kids will eat them.

ingredients..,

4 large apples, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, raisins and cranberries, 1 table spoon butter, 3/4 cups oats and 1 cup of water.

Preheat the oven to 350'F. Remove the core of the apple to about 1/2 inch from the bottom and peel. We are making heart shaped centres since it's is almost Valentine's Day; about 3/4 inches wide. In a small bowl mix together all of the dry ingredients and stuff into the middle of the apples. Place apples into the pan. Add a teaspoon of butter to the top of each apple mixture. Add 1 cup of boiling water to the pan. Bake for about 30-45 minutes or until the apples are tender, not mushy. To get apples golden brown, baste the apples with the juice from the pan. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.  Yummy.

Don't forget our Bid Here Page. We are auctioning off an Usborne Gift Card.  Get in on these deals. Free Valentine's Gift Basket visit.. here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy leave your comment.