Monday, March 4, 2013

Tot Talk: My 3 Year Old Won't Stay In Bed

My 3 year old never stayed in bed.  She would make up every excuse under the sun to get out of bed and I was such a sucker. I let her do what ever she needed to do until one night I couldn't get her to stay in her bed at all.  She would cry and cry and insist on sleeping with her daddy and I, but that was my husbands breaking point.  While I was in for a doctor's appointment, (my husband came into the room with me) and he had decided to speak to our family doctor about our daughter's sleeping habits. The doctor told him, jokingly, but seriously to stand guard at our daughter's bedroom door and not to let mommy go in for three nights. Really!?!?!? We had a good laugh and left.








Well, that night, we decided to give it a try. The first night, bed at 7:00 PM was dreadful, with lots of mommy and daughter tears and in depth conversations with my husband as to why we were doing this? 10:00 PM.., she finally fell to sleep. We peaked into her room to make sure she was safe and sleeping in her bed. mom goes to bed and who cares what daddy's doing! The second night, bed at 7:00 PM.. mommy not crying,  but is sitting outside our daughter's door, and very uncomfortable with the whole situation. Daughter's crying, but fell a sleep at 9:15 PM. Third night, daughter goes to bed 7:00 PM, with lots of hugs/kisses from both of us and our daughter's eyes are open very wide, but no tears. Mommy is sitting in the living room straining to hear every little peep (didn't hear a thing.) Our daughter fell to sleep sometime between 7:30 - 8:00 PM. Mom and daddy in bed by 10:00 PM and all is good.  Now - that is healthy for all of us. We are now on a routine and our daughter is sleeping every night before 7:30. My husband and I get 2-1/2 hours of US time.

This is a very hard thing to do, but it's important to understand that children need routine and consistency. Sleep is crucial for all of us, am I right? Would you have done this?  I can handle your comments, give it to me straight.   Don't forget to Like our Page at the top.

Watch for our auctions.. Bid to WIn You can get some great deals on this site.  Have a look at our Buy Page for some great deals on jewellery and tutu's.  

Photo above: http://elitedaily.com/elite/slideshows/kids/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy leave your comment.